- Apple has announced many of the notable features coming to iOS 12 for eligible iPhones and iPads including improved performance, enhanced photo capabilities and better emojis than ever before.
- The release of the iOS 12 is still a few months away. But, if you can’t wait that long, this post will help you download and install the public beta.
Apple is releasing a new operating system, iOS 12, in September and based on the previews, it’s going to be awesome. If you can’t wait that long, we have some good news for you – Apple has already released a public beta of the new operating system.
Reasons why you should download iOS 12
Apple is making some bold claims on how much iOS 12 will impact your device’s performance. For example, iOS 12 will allow you to swipe up to 70 percent faster to access the camera and open the keyboard display up to 50 percent faster. Your phone or tablet will also see twice the speeds for app launches even under heavy workloads.
More features to protect your privacy
Apple has always baked in plenty of privacy features and tools to help you understand and decide what information you share. iOS 12 is taking those efforts even further by:
- Preventing share buttons and comment widgets on web pages from tracking you without your permission when you use Safari.
- Blocking advertisers from collecting your device’s unique characteristics to identify you so they can serve retargeted ads on other sites.
More faces in FaceTime
Once you download iOS 12, you’ll be able to FaceTime with as many as 32 people at the same time. And, to help you keep track of the conversation, the users’ tiles get larger when they start talking.
Siri gets even smarter
With iOS 12, Siri will now be able to identify and pair your daily routines with third-party apps. Siri will also provide shortcuts to accomplish routine tasks like ordering coffee for you. You’ll also be able to prompt Siri shortcuts with your voice, or create new ones with the Shortcuts app.
Fresh ways to share and find photos
There are couple fresh photo functions on iOS 12:
- Sharing – a new For You tab in your photo library highlights top pictures and automatically suggests sharing photos with the people in them.
- Search – iOS 12 will offer suggestions to help you find the photos you’re looking for. When you open the search, you’ll see suggestions for recent photos and as you start typing the results will filter to refine the options.
New emoji features
There are two major updates for iOS 12 when it comes to emojis:
- Animoji – four new Animojis to choose from including koalas, tigers, ghosts or a T-Rex.
- Memoji –create Animojis of yourself and send them using Messages and FaceTime.
And, you’ll be able to quickly create and share photos or video of your Animojis, Memojis, animated text effects and more in Messages and FaceTime.
Helps you control cell phone addiction
iOS 12 includes three new features to help users control the amount of time they spend staring at their phone.
- Screen Time – this feature tracks how much time you spend using apps, visiting websites and using your device in general. You can set limits for certain apps to make the most of your time.
- Notification Management – this feature allows you to reduce interruptions throughout your day by managing your notifications in real-time from the lock screen. Siri will also make suggestions for alert management based on how you interact with notifications, and alerts will now be grouped together based on specific topics.
- Do Not Disturb – this feature is great for those times you need to block distractions or don’t want to be tempted to check your phone. The Do Not Disturb feature on iOS 12 will allow you to block calls, messages, notifications, etc. for specific periods of time (like during meetings on your phone’s calendar) and will automatically turn off when the event ends.
How to get iOS 12 public beta
The iOS 12 public beta is available on any iPhone or iPad that runs iOS 11. Here are all the eligible devices:
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 and 8 Plus
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s and 6s Plus
- iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro 1st and 2nd generation
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro
- iPad Air and iPad Air 2
- iPad 5th and 6th generation
- iPad mini 2, 3 and 4
Before you download iOS 12, we recommend backing up the device. Since the operating system is still in a beta, the user experience might not be ready for primetime. Ideally, you should try the new iOS on a secondary phone or non-essential iPad to test it out.
After you back up your phone, here are the steps you’ll need to complete to install the iOS public beta.
Step No. 1: Enroll in Apple’s Beta Software Program with your Apple ID.
Step No. 2: From the iOS device you want to install the beta on, go to the Apple Beta Software Program’s site and log in. Then, download and install the configuration profile.
Step No. 3: That will make the beta version available under Settings>General>Software Update. Just tap Download and Install and you’re all set.
Want a new iPhone to go with the new operating system? Shop Simply Mac’s online selection or stop by a location near you.